Did I tell you that I love ice cream? Aside from baking a ton of bread lately, I’ve been making more than enough ice cream to feed the inhabitants of my zip code.
One morning of slathering Nutella on my homemade toasted bread, I thought of making ice cream with Nutella. How brilliant! Not only will I have Nutella for breakfast, but I can have it for a late night snack.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 3 medium extra-ripe bananas
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Big pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine 1 cup of the cream, nutella and the banana in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour the banana mixture into a bowl and prepare a fine mesh sieve on top of the bowl. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine the remaining cup of cream with the milk, sugar, and salt. Bring the milk to a bare simmer. Immediately remove from heat.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolk together in a separate bowl. Set aside.
4. Whisking constantly, pour the milk gradually into the prepared egg yolks to temper them. Return the egg yolks and milk to the saucepan and to heat.
5. Cook the milk and yolk mixture over medium heat while stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and can coat the spoon/spatula (this may take some time) Remove from heat and immediately pour through the sieve into the nutella and banana cream. Whisk until smooth.
6. Add the vanilla and stir.
7. Chill the mixture throughly in the fridge, then freeze it in your ice cream maker of choice. Transfer from your ice cream maker to the freezer to harden.
Note: This ice cream mix probably won’t harden completely in your maker, so please allow for extra freezing time in the freezer.